Wednesday, March 31, 2010

This is what I call 'jumping the gun'.

At some point during one of my long runs, I decided that a half marathon in September was too abstract a goal. (Btw, the problem with long runs? Too much time to think. Danger!) So, today I officially registered for a half marathon in May. This May. 2010.

Breathe, Alyssa, breathe.

The reality is, a person could train for a whole marathon by September if a person had a lot of free hours. I don't. But, I've been slowly increasing my long run and I should be able to get there by May. I won't be fast. In fact, I will probably be annoyingly slow, but the goal is to do it. Get out there and run. Not only run a race, but run a DISTANCE that I have not done since before C was born. Over five years ago.

Breathe, Alyssa, breathe.

If nothing else, it will give me a frame of reference for the half marathon in September. An annoyingly slow time to beat. Who can't beat an annoyingly slow time, right? Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Oh, and just for the record, I am not entirely pleased that when I registered, I had the choice of listing my occupation as "Unemployed" or "Other". Being a stay-at-home-mom is TOTALLY a job. And a hard one at that. So there. (Imagine me displaying a long, elegant - albeit aging and raw - finger in their general direction.) Perhaps I should run this one for all you SAHMs out there?

44 days and counting.

Breathe, Alyssa, breathe.

1 comment:

Beck said...

You can do it! And better you than me.

Being a SAHM IS totally a job, but too often forms don't reflect that very traditional reality. I had a tax woman once say, acidly, to me "So chronically unemployed, then?". NICE.